Monday, April 30, 2012

Roses in My Garden


My Sonoran Desert Rose Garden
Shrub rose "Distant Drums"
David Austin's "Pat Austin"


Austin's "Golden Celebrations"


Floribunda "Moon Dance"






My roses are in full bloom now, perhaps a bit past.  They perform beautifully here in the Sonoran Desert, in fact, much better than they did in Virginia.   We installed a separate valve on our irrigation system specifically for the roses, since they do need more water than most of my xeriscape plants.  Thrips can be a problem, and I saw evidence of them this year.  Oddly enough, powdery mildew can also pose a challenge.  But, with a little work and the help of a good systemic rose fertilizer, I've been able to keep both disease and bugs under control.  My most beautiful show is at this time of year, mid-April to early May.  When summer heat sets in, my roses go dormant.   By fall, after a good pruning, they are back to flourishing, with nice blooms.  I often have bouquets for Thanksgiving.

I grow mostly David Austin English roses with a couple floribundas.  I just planted two climbers and will be anxious to see how they do. 


For now, I wander through my garden savoring vibrant color and heady fragrance, and I'm not surprised to find a smile on my lips.  My roses are a source of so much joy.


Floribunda "Guy de Maupassant"

No comments:

Post a Comment