Sunday, August 19, 2012

Hummers Head South

When the hummingbirds begin migrating south again, we often see
every feeding port occupied.



About this time of year, I begin to see an increase in hummingbirds frequenting our feeders.  Southern migration has started.  Hummers that migrated north this spring are beginning the long journey back to Mexico and South America.  First year juveniles join adult males and females to sip their version of "Red Bull" from our offerings. 

A pair of black-chinned hummers.

Since the monsoons have been so active, flowers, growing both wild and in my garden, have supplemented my homemade nectar.  I prefer to make nectar myself rather than use commercial forms.  Commercial nectar can contain high amounts of iron.  Iron will kill hummingbirds because they do not digest it.  Instead, ingested iron continues to accumulate in their bodies until it reaches toxic levels.  And then there is the red dye controversy.  I figure that since red dye isn't good for people, it's probably not good for hummingbirds either, so I stay clear of it.  Believe me, these little Trochiledae do not need red dye to attract them to nectar sources. 

My recipe for nectar is to bring to a boil 4 parts water to 1 part white cane sugar.  Bringing the water to a boil is said to help retard fermentation.   I then chill the nectar overnight.  I don't use honey, artificial sweeteners, or confectioners' sugar because some experts believe these will quickly grow harmful bacteria and fungus.  Likewise, I stay away from molasses, brown, and turbinado sugars as these all contain higher amounts of iron. 


Rare blue-throated hummingbirds caught flying toward Keith.
Nourishing hummers comes with a responsibility to keep feeders clean.  Sugar water will quickly spoil.  I don't leave sugar water out for more than 48 hours in hot weather.  And if the water is cloudy, it definitely needs replacing.  Always clean your feeder when you refill it.  I do this by emptying out the old water, pouring a little white vinegar and lots of hot water into the feeder, and using a small bottle brush to swipe away any mold, sediments, or other contaminants.  I rinse the feeder thoroughly and give it the old sniff test to ensure it's clean.  I cannot stress enough how important it is to clean your feeders every time you fill them.  Contaminated feeders are often overtaken by growths of a yeast infection called candidiasis.  This yeast candida fungus will cause health problems for hummingbirds, including tongue swelling.  I saw this firsthand, and it was heartbreaking.  The bird's tongue was so swollen it could not close its bill.  The open bill wouldn't fit into any feeder ports.  So keep the feeders clean for the sake of your beloved hummers.

This morning I celebrated Sunday by lounging in a sling chair set only feet away from one of my feeders.  I watched black-chinned, rufous, Anna's and Costa's lap nectar between chasing one another in noisy territorial scuffles.  All of them flew close to me, hovering and watching me curiously before going about their business.  I am still awed by these beautiful creatures the Spanish call "Chuparosas."  Their iridescent gorgets, astonishingly fast wing beats, and fantastic maneuverability are just a small part of what make them one of the most fascinating and beloved tiny birds.  Their intrepid curiosity and relentless energy seem to give them personalities.  I feel privileged to be able to get so close to these wonderful animals and win their trust.

A pair of broad-tailed hummingbirds enjoying a sugar high.

No comments:

Post a Comment