Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Water Babies

My water baby friend.

It was time to water some mesquites that I'd planted last fall.  I headed out with the garden hose and embarked on the chore.  Suddenly, a hummingbird flew so close to my face I could feel the breeze created by the elfin, whirring wings.  At first, I thought it was Little Boy.  But when the tiny bird perched on the mesquite I was watering, I realized this was a female Anna's.  I next thought she was warning me away from her nest.  I couldn't see any, but it is so easy to overlook the diminutive incubator.  Within moments I knew what she wanted.  She wanted a bath!  She hovered near the hose spray, but it was a bit too powerful for her.  I scaled back the water flow to a light shower, and sent it in a gentle arc over her perch.  The little hummer fluttered her wings and fanned her tail.  I resumed my mesquite watering, but she again dashed close to the hose.  Apparently, we weren't through yet.  I showered her again, and she landed on the ground, wallowing in the moist dirt, wings and tail in constant motion, and clearly enjoying the shower.  We repeated this several times before the Anna's was satisfied.  She followed me around the lot as I completed my watering and then zipped off for other diversions. 

The little Anna's inspired me.  Today was a warm day with temperatures approaching the 80's.  The sun was intense.  I thought, "Two can play this game," quickly changed into my bathing suit and headed off to our community pool for what was a refreshing swim.  I spent an hour doing my laps (88 lengths or 44 laps equal one mile).  I worked up to 3/4 of a mile and then called it a day.  After all, this was my first swim of the season, and I was feeling it.  But as I dried in the warming sun, I smiled knowing the little hummer and I had both enjoyed the cooling, invigorating, and soothing caress of water, and that this pleasant event had been her idea.


No comments:

Post a Comment