Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Oaxacan Art

Keith gave me my first Oaxacan folk art item.
This Little Mexican Dog was carved from a single piece of wood by
Jacobo Angeles, and painted in meticulous detail
by his wife, Maria.  It remains the favorite in my
collection.

This coyote is the largest piece in my collection,
standing about three feet high.

I remember worrying how I would decorate our new home in Arizona.   I'd lived my entire life in the East--a Virginian with family roots dating back to the Civil War.   My last Old Dominion home had been decorated in shades of pink and sea green, accented by flower wreaths and floral prints, and formal drapes and priscillas.  I even had some seascapes and shells collected on trips to Maine and Florida.  I really doubted my decor would fit in with the bright colors and heavy furniture of the southwest.   I donated many items to the Purple Heart and Disabled Veterans, two Alexandria charities, and retained a few favorite paintings that were dubious contenders for gracing the walls of a Mediterranean-style hacienda.   Everything else, from silk flower arrangements to curtains and even some pieces of furniture, all stayed in Virginia. 

I needn't have worried.  The transition from gracious Old South to Spanish architectural themes was fairly smooth.  I traded the heavy drapes and priscillas for accent scarves and blinds, keeping the window coverings at a minimum to preserve our beautiful mountain and desert views.   Then I blended my immigrant art with new pieces from indigenous southwestern people.  Among the most beautiful art forms I discovered are Oaxacan (wah-HA-can) carvings. 
Like the little Mexican dog that Keith gave me,
these pieces, Scared Rabbit and Dancing Deer,
were each carved from a single piece of wood.


Hand-carved and hand-painted, Oaxacan carvings are arguably Mexico's most sought-after folk art.  The artists use machetes to chop copal wood from locally-grown copalillo trees into manageable pieces for carving.  They finish the pieces with smaller knives and chisels.  The art process often involves the entire family, with the adults carving and painting, and children sanding the lightweight, easily-worked wood.  The artists are descendants of the pre-Colombian Zapotec Indian tribe, and their artwork is often covered with hundreds of hand-painted Zapotec symbols.  The pieces can take weeks or months to complete, depending upon complexity and the artist' imagination.  Most carvings depict whimsically colored animals, making them attractive to adults and children alike.  Many artists still use natural ingredients for paints including copal bark, zinc, baking soda, pomegranate seeds, lime juice, and indigo.  Each Oaxacan carving is a unique piece of art; finer pieces are signed by the artist. 

This rather bulbous armadillo resides in our
bedroom.
Keith ignited my passion for Oaxacan carvings when he gave me an adorable Mexican dog carving from the Sonoran Desert Museum.  I discovered the carving was signed by a well-known artist, Jacobo Angeles.  Angeles is highly collectible; his pieces are displayed in museums worldwide, including the Smithsonian.  Since Keith's first gift, I've added several other Angeles pieces to my collection.  They still amaze and delight me with their intricate designs and cheerful colors.  They are truly beautiful pieces of art.

2 comments:

  1. As a beginner collector of Jacobo's (less expensive) alebrijes, I can say that you have an excellent collection from Jacobo. Lucky you, and congratulations! I am very jealous. These are cultural representatives on a world mission! Glad they have a good home, and not alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lew. It is so great to hear from another who appreciates Jacobo's work, and this beautiful Oaxacan art in general. Enjoy your collection--yours have a great home as well!

      Delete