Sunday, May 13, 2012

Zuni Animal Fetishes

A mountain lion fetish carved from picasso marble.
Notice the turquoise inset for its eyes.
My sister-in-law Carolyn, a beloved coach and supporter of my blog, asked if I could write a bit about animal totems.   There are people around the world who work with animal spirits in conjunction with "shamanism," a very old healing tradition.  Some Native Americans believe that each of us has an animal spirit guide that follows us throughout our life, helping us through bad times and good, watching over us, and opening passages to knowledge that can help us realize the best in ourselves.   I think my animal guide is the owl, which could be scary for some people who think of them as harbingers of death.  But they also symbolize wisdom, awareness, strong intuition, and the need for silence and solitude. 

Some tribal people use likenesses of animals carved in wood, bone, antler, or stone to help them in their daily lives.  My knowledge of animal totems is quite limited, and what I know I only acquired after falling in love with the Southwest.  I collect what are known as Zuni fetishes, animals carved in stone that purportedly are imbued with special powers specific to the animal.  


My favorite fetish is the black mountain lion on the
right.  The other is carved from green serpentine.
The Zuni are descendants of Ancient Puebloans who lived in the southwestern desert.  Their main Pueblo is located in the western portion of New Mexico near the Arizona border, about 35 miles outside of Gallup.   Zuni fetish carvings are an integral part of the tribe's culture, considered sacred and personal.  It was only within the past 50 years or so that the Zuni began carving what they call talismans for sale outside of the tribe.  The carvings are art and, along with jewelry, are popular with collectors.

I collect Zuni mountain lions, which are said to protect travelers, and buoy leadership qualities.  One of my mountain lions accompanies me on every long-distance trip.  This particular piece was carved by Julius Yuselew, a member of a very old Zuni family famous for its gifted carvers.   I feel a real affinity with this carving.   The piece was not blessed by a shaman--sacred pieces are never sold.  But I believe my lion has protected me on many of my journeys. 

Other animals offer other powers.  The bear fetish is used in healing--to cure illness or provide understanding and compassion.  It represents strength.  The coyote is a hunting talisman; it also represents cunning, laughter, humor, and trickery.  The badger is associated with curative wisdom, determination, and perseverance.  The wolf helps strengthen family ties, guards against enemies, and brings success to hunting.  Moles protect gardens and crops, helping farmers.  Turtles represent longevity.  Owls provide wisdom and insight and are protectors of the home.  Frogs are symbols of fertility, but they also represent the blessing of rain.  Eagles symbolize the power of the Great Spirit as well as integrity.


For me, the Zuni fetish carvings are beautiful pieces of art that remind us of our connection with nature and the importance of animals in our lives.   And whether or not they have special powers is probably best answered by each of us as individuals. 

If you want to learn more about Zuni fetishes, I highly recommend any of Kent McManis' books on the subject.  He is indeed an expert.  I grievously over-simplified this post on Zuni fetishes.   Mr. McManis does a great job in explaining the complexity of meaning and relationships to the Zuni culture.
Another member of my mountain lion collection.
This was carved by Lena Boone and includes
an offering to the spirit guide in the form
of coral and turquoise.

No comments:

Post a Comment