Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Nestling

A few weeks ago, a mourning dove built a nest in my Lady Banks rose.   I kept an eye on the nest and one morning discovered two white eggs.  Lady Dove, as I call her, stayed on her nest through 95 degree temperatures and night-time lows of the upper 40's.  She seemed to be a devoted mother, and I looked forward to seeing the nestlings emerge.

Today, a storm swirled through our area, carrying with it much needed rain.   It also spawned wind.  The wind gusts approached hurricane force, at 50 mph.  This kind of wind isn't uncommon for our area, and we try to remember to bring inside anything that might take flight.  I forgot that the Lady Banks rose, though a good choice for a nest, was also prone to tipping over during especially high winds.

And that's what happened.  As the furious winds ripped across our area, they finally took their toll on the rose.  I found it laying horizonal across several other roses.  I was heartbroken, believing Lady Dove's nest was ruined.  Miraculously though, when I checked on the nest, one egg was still there, lodged unharmed in the nesting material.  I righted the bush and tried to stabilize it as much as possible.  I carefully placed the egg back into the depression and looked around for the second egg.  No egg.  Instead, I found a nestling on the ground.  I picked it up, fearing it would be dead.  It was cold as ice, but still alive.  I cupped my hands around it and brought it inside the house to warm it.  After about 30 minutes, the tiny, baby bird began to squirm.  It was warming up.

I knew what I had to do.  Nature takes care of its own in the best way.  The nestling would have no chance if I tried to rear it.  I needed to put it back in its nest.  But would Lady Dove return?

Keith and I both watched for her.    She finally flew to perch a few feet from the now righted rose and repositioned nest.  She seemed to hesitate, but finally climbed back into the nest, moving the egg so that she could shelter it with her warmth and presence.

With the little nestling now warm, I ventured outdoors to place it back in its nest.  Naturally, Lady Dove flushed when I drew close.  I gently placed the nestling in its twiggy home and returned inside the house.  The next five minutes felt like hours.  I kept watching for Lady Dove, hoping she would return to the nest.  Finally, she did.   She climbed back into her little nursery and carefully nudged both egg and nestling beneath her.  I was relieved.  I'd done the best I could to help, and now maybe...just maybe, the nestling would survive.  Time will tell.  But for now, I feel both relief and hope.

Keith has grown to understand that although I often let myself in for heartbreak, it is just not in my soul to ignore an animal in distress.   I've learned that nature is the best keeper and healer, but if  things look especially bleak, I can't help but intervene.

I'm cheering for Lady Dove and her family.   We'll see what happens.


No comments:

Post a Comment